- Christchurch, New Zealand
- 16 ski areas within easy reach of Christchurch
- 10 ski areas within just 2 1/2 hours drive of Christchurch
- Terrain for all levels, from beginners to big-mountain skiing at a fraction of the cost!
- On and off-field accommodation available (varies by mountain)
- Check out the local 'clubbies' (club-fields), unique to the Canterbury Region.
- Discover one of the World's Top 10 "Green Adventures" -
- "Take the Piste", read on for more details -
- Alpine ice-skating.
- Therapeutic Alpine Thermal Hot Pools
- Abundance of Apres towns and after-ski outings in Christchurch!
Choose from 16 nearby ski areas in the Canterbury region
Winter in Christchurch
Christchurch is a comfortable 3 hour flight from Australia. Landing in New Zealand’s Tourism Gateway, Christchurch International Airport provides easy access to your choice of 16 Canterbury ski areas in the nearby Southern Alps and is just 15 minutes drive to the city centre.
Located in the heart of the South Island's east coast, Christchurch is famous for its crisp winter days and sunny blue skies. Take a walk through central Hagley Park and open air-markets. Ice-skate in the city's 'Ice Dome' in Cathedral Square. Sit back and relax on a vintage tram, or snuggle fireside in an urban laneway and enjoy sparkling snow and a vibrant city by night.
An Alpine Playground on the City's Doorstep
For a line-up of one-of-a-kind alpine ski and snowboarding experiences, head to Canterbury’s Southern Alps, including:
Methven / Mt Hutt
Just over an hour from the airport, base your escape in the apres ski-town of Methven, the hub of South Island skiing.
Selwyn District "Super-6"
Take off from Christchurch Airport straight for the Selwyn fields – including Porters, just 89km from the city.
Hanmer Springs, Alpine Spa Village
Just 90 minutes drive north from Christchurch, breath in the fresh alpine air whilst soaking in a therapeutic hot pool after a day on the intimate slopes of two nearby boutique ski-fields.
A leisurely half day drive from Christchurch, the Mackenzie is home to 4 ski-areas, lakeside ice-skating and hot pools, not to mention acres on untouched heli-skiing options including the magnificent Aoraki Mt Cook, New Zealand’s tallest peak.